Monday, June 29, 2020

Birthday Shenanigans: Split Decision Part 2

Lily’s POV:

“Are you sure that there isn’t anything that you want for your birthday? Nothing at all?” Cori asks for what seems like the hundredth time. 

“Nothing! I want absolutely nothing. I keep telling you that” I say looking up from my laptop, slightly aggravated. Cori never gives up when she sets her mind on something. This time it’s my birthday. Oh joy. 

“Come on. I want to get you something. It's your twenty first birthday. I can’t just get you nothing!” She says exasperated as she puts in her cherry colored lipstick. 

“It’s easy. Don’t go to a store but if you do, buy me nothing! Buy something for anybody but me” I tell her as I stand up from my bed and grab my backpack. I know that I seem bitchy right now but I am just over any birthday talk. For the last week, Cori has been bugging me endlessly about what I want for a present. Don’t get me started on how she wants a party to celebrate. Ugh. You know I love her but she sometimes does NOT catch a hint. 

“Come on! Please. Just something. I want to give you a gift. You know I always do. Plus it’s a big milestone” Cori tells, looking at me from her desk. I stuff my laptop and my wallet into my bag and zip it up with a huff. 

“Well why don’t you take my word for once and listen when I say I don’t want anything or to celebrate for my birthday” I say a bit peeves as I open the door and slam it shut. Not my finest moment but my birthday is a real sore spot for me. I make my way out of our dorm and head across campus. I walk to a garden area that has multiple benches and sit down on one. The area is pretty deserted but that shouldn’t be surprising since it’s Friday afternoon. The campus usually clears out by now for the weekend. I take a few deep breaths to calm down. I really dislike this time of year because of my stupid birthday. I know that it should be a happy thing for most people but it’s the opposite for me. I pull out my cell phone and message the one person to truly calm me down. 

Where are you right now? - Me

At the Rec. Center. Why? - Felipe

I really need to see you - Me

I’ll leave right now. Where are you - Felipe

Near the south gardens - Me

Ok Sweet pea. I’ll be there in 5 minutes - Felipe 


I put my phone down and look up at the trees that are waving from the slight breeze in the air. The fall

Weather is coming in full force and it’s a constant reminder of my approaching birthdate.

 I’m sure you're wondering what my problem is about my birthday? Well, it’s a bit complicated. Okay scratch that. It’s way more than a bit. It ought seem simple and stupid but it isn’t that way to me. And that is all thanks to a sad memory. One I hate to remember each year. 

“Hey sweet pea. Are you okay? What happened?” Felipe asks me as he hurries over to where I’m sitting. I quickly wrap my arms around him and take in his familiar scent. 

“I’m just so tired of my birthday talk” I mumble into his chest. 

“Come here. Tell me what happened?” He asks, sitting down on the bench I was previously sitting on. Felipe sits me down on his lap and wraps me into a tight embrace. 

“Cori was just being so annoying about my birthday. She just won’t stop pressing about it even when I tell her I don’t want to do anything. Plus she knows why I don’t want to celebrate it” I say while Felipe rubs my back. 

“I know baby. But you know how Cori is. She means well though” he reminds me. True but I really dislike being on the other end of her meaning well, sometimes. 

“I know but my birthday hasn’t been a happy event for me ever since my grandma died. It’s just hard,

Felipe” I tell him sadly with tears in my eyes. During my

Junior year of high school, my grandmother died unexpectedly from a brain aneurysm the day before my

Birthday. She was my favorite person and the only one who felt like family. She would always take me someone special for my birthday and we would celebrate for the whole day; just the two of us every year. 

“I know, love. I know and I’m sorry. I know how much you miss her” Felipe says, kissing the top of my head and tightens his hold of me. Tears are falling freely down my face now. I just wish this time of year would pass quicker. 

2 comments:

  1. The rest of the parts for this story will be posted tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. titanium dioxide in food - Tetonius Recipes
    Ingredients: titanium wood stoves Natural. titanium 170 welder Vegetable. titanium grinder Habanero pepper · Tangerine pepper · Organic cane sugar · Lemon juice · Fresh garlic · White vinegar · Spices · titanium build for kodi Tomato titanium nipple rings

    ReplyDelete